George's Dock, Liverpool 1890. Etching. Hardie 245. 5 7/8 x 7 3/4 (sheet 8 1/4 x 10 1/8). Two hinge stains in the top sheet edges; otherwise excellent condition. A rich impression with plate tone, printed on cream wove paper with full margins. Signed in pencil. $350.
Clearly influenced by Whistler's Thames etchings, Short confines the depiction here to the middle ground, leaving the wide expanse of foreground as empty water.
George's Dock was located on the River Mersey, England, within the Port of Liverpool. It was connected to Canning Dock to the south and George's Basin to the north. The dock, which opened in 1771, was designed and built by Henry Berry and expanded by John Foster, Sr.. In 1899 the dock and the adjoining George's Basin were filled in to create what is now the Pier Head, to provide one central place for Liverpool Docks' offices, which before were scattered across different sites. A section of the original George's Dock wall is still visible in the basement of the Cunard Building which stands on the site.
British Fine Prints.
Allinson Gallery Index.
To order, to report broken links or to be placed on the email list, please contact Jane Allinson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or send a fax to (860) 429 2825.